Any business owner who has any employees should be fully aware that there are state and federal employment laws with which they must comply. Failing to comply with employment laws can result in a penalty from the state or federal government, as well as facing legal action taken by your employee. To avoid any penalties or liability and to keep a happy and healthy workforce, you should – at the very least – be aware of the following employment laws.
- Texas Minimum Wage Act – Sets the minimum hourly wage in Texas (currently $7.25) and requires that they provide pay statements to employees.
- Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) – Sets the federal minimum wage (same as Texas), as well as requirements for overtime pay, time worked, rest and meal breaks, child labor, and more.
- Equal Pay Act (EPA) – Requires that employers pay men and women equal pay for substantially similar work.
- Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSHA) – Sets standards to prevent physical injury or death in the workplace.
- Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) – Requires that certain employers provide 12 weeks of unpaid time off work for qualified employees to care for family or medical needs without the fear of losing their jobs.
- Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 – Prohibits workplace discrimination based on race, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy), and religion.
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) – Prohibits discrimination against and requires reasonable accommodations for individuals with physical or mental disabilities.
- Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA) – Prohibits discrimination based on age for employees who are at least 40 years old.
- Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Act (USERRA) – Prohibits employers from terminating an employee due to active service in the military.
A Skilled Houston Business Lawyer Can Provide Guidance in Employment Matters
In too many cases, employers may violate one or more employment laws unintentionally but they still have to face the consequences. The Weisblatt Law Firm LLC can help you ensure that you comply with all employment laws necessary for your type of company. Please call 713-666-1981 to learn more today.