Checklist for Starting a New Business
When you have a viable business idea, chances are you want to hit the ground running as soon as possible. However, you should realize that in order to start your company on the best possible terms, there are many steps you should take before starting operations. The following are some steps that may be important to starting your business. For information regarding your specific situation, schedule a consultation with a Houston business lawyer.
- Choose your name and brand. You want a business name and brand that are unique and will attract customers. You can search existing trademarks on the USPTO website as well as registered business names in Texas to avoid duplicate names. Consider obtaining intellectual property protections for your name and brand.
- Choose a legal structure. There are many types of business entities, from partnerships to limited liability companies (LLCs) to corporations. You should carefully evaluate the nature of your business, the liability protections you will need, your tax preferences, and other factors to determine which one is right for you. You should then file the necessary documents with the Texas Secretary of State.
- Find a location. If you are starting a brick-and-mortar business, you should find the right space and have an attorney review any commercial leases or real estate contracts.
- Obtain necessary licenses and permits. An attorney can advise you of any licenses and permits you may need based on the type of business you are starting and the location of your business.
- Draft all necessary operating agreements. You should always have in place enforceable operating agreements that can reduce the chance of disputes between owners and help resolve any disputes in an easier manner.
Discuss Your Situation with a Houston Business Attorney Today
Starting a business is an exciting time. However, if you rush the process too quickly and skip any important steps, you can find yourself in a costly situation down the road – and it may even cost you the entire business. Instead of taking that risk, you should consult with a highly experienced business attorney in Houston. At The Weisblatt Law Firm, we regularly assist entrepreneurs in successfully starting their companies, so please call us today for more information at 713-666-1981.
Tags: Houston Business Attorney
, Houston Business Lawyer
, TX Business Attorney